Monday, February 9, 2009

Freezing Leftover Fruit

It always seems to happen that I have 1/2 carton of leftover blueberries or go to the farmers market and anticipate eating an entire crate of strawberries in 3-5 days. It never happens and I end up throwing it away - which I hate doing, especially with the price of produce these days. So I did some research and learned how to freeze my leftover ripe berries and fruit. Its easy:

  1. wash the fruit thoroughly
  2. pick over any pieces that are "over ripe"
  3. Sweeten with sugar or sugar syrup (optional)
  4. Freeze at least 1 hour on a baking sheet or shallow pan
  5. Seal in freezer ziplock bags or freezable containers

This fruit is great for smoothies or those months when certain fruit is not in season. Plus you're not throwing money away. Here is a link for prep and sugar suggestions I found, I don't sweeten my frozen fruit so it's entirely optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment