Saturday, October 16, 2010

Recipe: My Favorite Mexican Rice

We do alot of Mexican inspired dinners in my house for many reasons, they're easy, relatively inexpensive, most can be made ahead of time and lets face it Mexican food is delicious! I used to buy the premade Mexican rice in a package but it seemed they were either too spicy for my daughter "Too Phicy Mommy!!" or the flavors between brands were inconsistent. So now I make my own and it is SUPER easy and I enjoy my side of rice even more (and so does everyone else which makes dinner much more pleasant) Plus everything needed I keep on hand so I can whip up a batch at anytime.

Mexican Rice

1/2 c. White Rice
1 14oz can of diced tomatos & their juice
1/2 a med. size yellow onion chopped
1 clove of garlic chopped
3/4 c. water
2 tbsp. olive oil
Salt & pepper

Heat stove to medium and place olive oil in a med-large size frying pan. Cook onions for about 4-5 minutes, add garlic & cook 1 more minute. Add tomatoes and their juice, rice, water and salt & pepper to taste. Turn heat down to low and cover stirring about every 5 minutes. Cook about 10-15 minutes or until all water/juice is absorbed.
Yummy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment