Monday, September 14, 2009

Mommy Tip - Whole Roasted Chicken

I often see whole roasting chickens on sale at the grocery store and when I do - I snatch them up! I've recently seen them for as low as $.79 a pound, which on a 3-4 pound chicken is under five dollars, and you can really stretch the chicken for a couple meals, a weeks worth of lunch/deli meat or a combination of both. I usually roast the chicken up on a Sunday, and shred it off the bone and store in the fridge in Tupperware ready to go. It's great for pizza toppings, salads, sandwiches, soups, nachos, etc....the list of uses goes on and on I even grab a few pieces for my daughter when she wants a quick snack or addition to her meals. it's so easy to cook and really is worth the effort and time!
To roast:
Clean all insides (remove all giblets and rinse out with cold water)
Pat dry with paper towels
Tuck wingtips under bird so they don't burn
Stuff cavity with lemon wedges, onions, garlic, herbs - anything you want.
Rub outside of bird with olive oil or melted butter and salt and pepper top
Roast in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until juices run clear and internal temp is above 180 (I know you don't have to cook it that long, but I am petrified of salmonella, so I cook until 180)
Take out of oven and let rest - then shred (with or without skin) and refrigerate

*If you're ambitious you can always use the carcass to make homemade stock :)

No comments:

Post a Comment