Thursday, October 8, 2009

The BEST Brownies Ever!

I was flipping through an old cookbook yesterday (I mean old, circa 1989 - one of my first ones!) and i came across a brownie recipe titled; "Best Brownies". I figured I would give it a go, and considering I usually make brownies out of the box thought i would try the "from scratch" method to see how they stood up to Betty Crocker's box version. I have to say they are the best brownies I have ever had - their name holds truth, don't wait to try these ones they are worth it!

"Best Brownies"
Book: Hershey's Chocolate Cookbook

1/2 c. butter melted
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
1/3 c. Hershey's cocoa (I use Ghiradelli's)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)
Creamy Brownie Frosting

blend butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl. Add eggs, beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder & salt; gradually blend into egg mixture. Stir in nuts.
Spread in greased 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes (in my gas range oven it only took 20 exactly) or until brownie begins to pull from sides and toothpick comes clean when inserted. Cool; frost with creamy Brownie Frosting. Cut into squares.

Creamy Brownie Frosting

3 Tbsp. butter, softened
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 Tbsp. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp. milk

Cream butter, cocoa, corn syrup and vanilla in small mixer bowl. Add powdered sugar and milk; beat to spreading consistency. Makes about 1 cup frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment